Previous World Voice Days:
Hormones & Voice
The British Voice Association AGM Study Day: 7th July 2019
AGM 10:00 – 10:45am*
Study Day 11:00am – 4:15pm
Baden-Powell House Conference Centre, 65 – 67 Queen’s Gate, South Kensington, London SW7 5JS
Hormones are crucial to our wellbeing. They control our moods and metabolism, our growth and sexual function. They are also incredibly important to our voice. This BVA Study Day is designed to shine a light on the role of hormones on our voices. It is intended for everyone who works with voice: speech therapists, singing teachers, physical therapists, doctors and performers.
To this end we have brought in a group of national and internationally renowned experts to present a focus on various aspects as relates to our voice and well being.
- John Rubin is a Consultant Laryngologist at UCL. He will set the scene reviewing the effects of hormones on the voice and vocal tract.
- Pierre-Marc Bouloux is Professor of Endocrinology at UCL. He will introduce the whole field of Endocrinology to us.
- Michael Savvas is a world expert in Gynaecological issues, in particular the effects of hormones on the voice. He will share his expertise on this.
- Juliana Bernardes, Nutritional Therapist and Naturopath.
- This year’s Gunnar Rugheimer Lecturer is Jean Abitbol. He is an ENT Surgeon in Paris, who has undertaken seminal research as well as clinical work on the larynx as a hormonal organ. He will share his expertise on this with us.
The day ends with a panel discussion in which the audience will be able to pick the experts’ brains.
It is our expectation that, by the end of the day, the audience will have gained a greater understanding on the endocrine system, its effect on the voice and the vocal tract throughout life, and on allopathic, alternative, nutritional and herbal treatment for endocrine based disorders, in particular as they effect the voice.
This course has been awarded 5 CPD points.
*The Association’s Annual General Meeting is for members only
Registration starts for those attending the AGM + Study Day
Registration starts for those attending the Study Day only
10:00 – 10:45
Annual General Meeting
British Voice Association members only
10:00 – 10:45
10 minute 'comfort break'
10:55 – 11:00
Introductory Remarks and Housekeeping
11:00 – 11:25
Hormones and Voice: Setting the scene
11:25 – 12:10
Endocrine issues: an overview
12:10 – 12:55
Gynaecological issues and the voice
12:55 – 13:45
13:45 – 14:30
Nutrition and your hormones: a fundamental guide
14:30 – 15:15
Gunnar Rugheimer Lecture: The Female Voice and the effects of Hormones
15:15 – 15:45
15:45 – 16:15
PANEL: Voice and Hormones
All speakers of the day
Prices include refreshments and lunch
- Early bird rates (before 7th June 2019)
Members £90, Non-members £110, BLA members £99, Students: £50
- Standard rates (after 7th June)
Members £110, Non-members £140, BLA members £126, Students: £60